Wednesday, August 29, 2012

SHOPE'S Yummy Drunken Noodles

What a week so far!  So, since I decided to go crazy with the trips planned for this fall, I've been working hard to pay them off.  I'm turning 29 again (aka: Dirty 30), so why not celebrate it a couple of times?  First, I'm going with my awesome boyfriend to Jamaica.  Jamaica Man!!  We got a steal at an all-inclusive resort in Lucea.  Then, I have a trip planned with the ladies to NYC. I am pretty pumped. 

Have you ever seen those folks in stores such as Harris Teeter, World Market, or BJ's giving away wine?  That's me and my weekend job working wine demos.  Wine demos are a lot of fun and help pay for various outings with the ladies, clothing, and of course, traveling!  I'm very thankful to have this extra job so I'm not limited to all that I like to do.  Plus I meet some pretty interesting people.  And I mean, INTERESTING.  I love the chatters.  I know I'm not a pro with wine, so it's nice to hear other folk's opinions on what they think is good and also just to talk about daily life.  During the week I work for the government which can be pretty busy.  But on a day or two on the weekends, it's pretty easy giving alcohol away to people.  It's not rocket science. I can see a wino from a mile away because I'm also a wino. ;)   

Anyways, here's a recipe that I acquired from one of my traveling buddies, Shope.  She and I have gone on a couple of trips with the ladies and let me tell you; if you're lucky enough to plan a trip with the girl friends, please do it.  It is so much fun!  Needless to say, I'm pretty excited for this fall. 
Nonetheless, here is Shope's Yummy Drunken Noodles.  She was very kind to share it with me (ok, I begged). 


Just a warning, but you will go for seconds with this one.

Servings:  4
Serving size- 1 cup of yummyness
Calories:  395.5 
Fat:  13.1 g   
Carbs:   54.9 g
Fiber:    2.8 g 
Protein:  13.8 g 
Points:  2

Ingredients:

1+lbs. of chicken, chopped
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 small bunch of green onions, finely chopped*
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large bunch of fresh basil, roughly chopped**
Wide ride noodles***
Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Sauce:
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
3 tbsp. soy sauce (GF)
2 tbsp. hot chili sauce
2 tbsp. oyster sauce
2 tsp. fish sauce
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1.  Bring a large pot of water to boil for the noodles.  Add a pinch of salt.  Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.  Chop the veggies and chicken on separate cutting boards.
2.  In a large pan, brown the chicken for a few minutes with some vegetable oil.  Add the red bell pepper and continue to simmer until most of the water has cooked off.
3.  Add noodles, onion, basil, and sauce to the pan with the chicken and peppers.  Continuously toss on medium heat for a few minutes.  Turn off the heat once basil is wilted.  Do not cook very long because the noodles will dry out.
4. For spicier noodles, shake on some red pepper flakes.  For greasier noodles, splash on some more vegetable oil.
5.  Serve immediately.

Notes
*I only use the green part of the green onions.
**Most recipes call for Thai basil because it is stronger and has a slightly different taste.  I just use lots of regular basil.  Safeway sells a 4-ounce container.  I use most of it, except for the stem and some of the smaller leaves.  It seems like a lot, but it really cooks down.
***A whole package of noodles is too much.  A large handful of dry ones should be enough (about 8 oz). 
 


Recipe by ShopeShack©

Ladies Dirty XXX Trip to New Orleans this past spring.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment