Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Spicy Chicken Nuggets

Back in day, I used to love me some chicken nuggets. During our lunch hour in high school, I think my girl friends and I went to Wendy's at least twice at week!  Wendy's chicken nuggets and a medium Frosty always hit the spot!  And remember their salad bars?  Why did they have to go away?  

Today, I still like chicken nuggets, but why not spice them up a little bit?

These are so tasty, they will bring back memories!  And you won't even tell they're heathier than the original version.  I'd like to think I kept the metabolism I had in my teens, but at least I can pretend!



P.S. They're also gluten free!

Servings:  4
Serving size- 15 nuggets 
Calories:  213.3
Fat:  2.6 g   
Carbs:  18.65 g
Fiber:  0 g 
Protein:  10.9 g 
Points:  4 



Recipe:
2 boneless chicken breast (cubed)
1 to 1 1/2 cups raw chicken breast, sliced (about four chicken breasts)
1 cup of Kellog's Corn Flake Crumbs
1 1/2 Tbsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp crushed pepper
2/3 cup of Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce (used to marinate the chicken)

1.  Cut the pieces of chicken breast and place them in a medium container with the buffalo sauce.  Cover and marinate them overnight or at least 2 hours. 
2.  After the chicken has marinated, preheat the oven to 500F.  Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. 
3. Mix together the corn flakes, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper in a wide bowl.  Dip each nugget into the bowl and rotate it so it's completely covered.  Place it on the cookie sheet.  Repeat until all of the pieces of chicken are covered.  Bake for 10 minutes or until chicken is done.

Serve with edamame beans sprinkled with salt.  These can be found at Target Grocery stores.  They are so good!  I also add a side of Hidden Valley's Light Ranch to dip the nuggets in.


P.S.  I'd cut a large piece down the middle first to make sure it's done.

It's also been 10 years since Dave Thomas's passing.  Thank you for your delicious nuggetsAnd thank you also for being from Kalamazoo, Michigan.


Recipe adapted from The Realistic Nutritionist and made Gluten Free friendly
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment