Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Spiced Apple Cider Sangria

Wow, it's hard to believe it's a whole new week again!  I feel like I fell off of the blog for a little bit, but you can't blame me.  With my 30th b-day this past weekend and an upcoming trip to Jamaica on Thursday; it has been pretty hard to focus on anything! 

This past Sunday was my 30th b-day and I got really lucky because it landed on the same weekend as the Virginia Wine Festival.  What better way to celebrate with my friends.  We had such a blast!  The weather was perfect and the location was gorgeous at The Plains.  It was serene and peaceful out there and I liked the layout with the wine booths and vendors.  It was a nice break from the traffic, metro, and stuffy lines at Starbucks that I encounter during the week.  Nonetheless, I completely forgot to take a picture, but here's one that I grabbed from Project Peoples on Facebook!


I also really enjoyed hearing about all of the wines from the many wineries in VA (there were 60 total at the event).  I tell you what though.  If you're passionate about your product, it makes me want to buy it more. :)  I am a sucker for the folks whose heart and soul goes into their winery.  Sorry, Donald Trump.  I tried your wines, but I wasn't impressed.  Better luck next season! 

There were also some interesting, random sangrias at the festival.   Some tasted like pine cones, citrus, oak, fruit, dessert wine, cinnamon, spices, etc.  I know one thing is for sure.  Nothing can top an apple spice sangria for fall.  There's something about the combination of apple and cinnamon that is so good!  So, with that said, here is some fabulous, Spiced Apple Cider Sangria!


The secret to this recipe is Simply Apple Juice which is basically apple juice that tastes like apple cider.  It's really that good. 
Servings:  8
Serving size- 1 cup of wine 
Calories:  218.25
Fat:  0 g   
Carbs:  21.9 g
Fiber:  0   g 
Protein:  0 g 
Points:  2 



Recipe:

1 1/2 bottles of Naked Grape Harvest Red (I've only seen this blend sold at Target)
2 cups of Simply Apple Juice
1/2 cup of Triple Sec
1/2 cup of spiced rum
1/2 tsp. apple pie spice
2 red apples
*Please make this the night before.

1.  In a large bowl with a spout, mix together the apple pie spice, spiced rum, Triple Sec, and Simply Apple Juice.  Stir until the apple pie spice has completely dissolved.
2.  Add 1 1/2 bottles of Naked Grape Harvest Red and mix accordingly.
3.  One everything is mixed, pour the wine into a pitcher.  You may have leftover wine.  This recipe makes a lot!  Cut up two apples and place them in the pitcher.  Refrigerate the wine and have it sit for at least 8 hours.  
Note:  This recipe is VERY strong since it's made with red wine and liquor.  Please drink at your discretion and don't plan on going anywhere after having a glass or two.  I know Target sounds good at the time, but don't do it!

Here are some of my 30th b-day themed attire and gifts from my awesome friends.  They are hilarious and know me so well!


The sash was pretty sweet.




I had a great b-day and thanks to all that came out to celebrate.  I'm looking forward to NYC in October with the ladies to celebrate some more!   Or, it's just an excuse to take another trip. 



      

No comments:

Post a Comment