Sunday, July 15, 2012

First Blog


Wine anyone?  Hello, my name is Emily and I'm a native Michigander who found herself in VA for a new job and opportunities.  This is a picture from my most recent trip home with my BF over the fourth of July at Chateau Chantel in Traverse City, MI.  If you've haven't been to the northern Michigan area, please go!  They have beautiful wineries in Old Mission Peninsula. I also have a huge fondness for wineries in northern VA.  One of my favorites is the Delaplane Winery in Delaplane, VA.   
 

Nonetheless, I am a resident of Northern Virgina and have been here for almost five years!  It's been quite an interesting experience and I'm thankful to have wonderful friends, a loving boyfriend, an interesting job as a gov't contractor, and my many hobbies, LOL.  I love running, baking, wine tastings, traveling, cooking, arts and crafts, shopping, planning and the list continues. 

I also like to be silly from time to time.  Poker Face!

Running is one of my main passions.

 I have been running for the past seven years and it brings so much joy to my life.  It makes me feel strong by helping my mind when I'm stressed and whips my body into shape. I also enjoy yoga and am gradually getting into weight lifting.  I'll be honest; I was never a runner before I went to college. It used to be a struggle to even run a mile. Now I can say I've successively ran a full marathon. I even beat Oprah's time by two minutes!  And she had a trainer (you've heard of Bob Greene, right?). I truly believe that a person can achieve anything.

DC SunTrust National Marathon in March 2010.  This was right before crossing the finish line.  So. Tired.

VA Wine Country Half Marathon in June 2012.  Yes, we drank wine after the race!
 
As well as running, I LOVE baking and that can get me into trouble because I have a huge sweet tooth.  Therefore, I am making it my goal to bake and cook more healthy meals.  I also sort of stumbled into become the fitness guru at work.  I've planned a Step Challenge and am now planning a Bike/Trail day for the company.  Fun baked goods don't have to be a zillion calories.  See my newest creation, Pink Lemonade Cake!  It has only 110 calories a serving!  And three ingredients:  Pillsbury Strawberry Lemonade Cake mix, 1 cup of Sprite Zero, and a full tub of Fat Free Cool Whip!  Oh and pink sprinkles if you have them. 

Yes, that's my desk at work.  And I brought the cake on the metro which is not an easy task. 

Not a healthy recipe, but still a heavenly one- Caramel Apple Pecan Cheesecake (courtesy of Paula Dean from the Food Network). 


Last, I love all sorts of crafts down to decorating, puttings wreaths together and recently creating jewelry.

X-mas wreath

Wine cork wreath

Seascape charm bracelet
I hope that my food and craft creations will inspire you and thank you for visiting my page!

More "healthy" recipes and projects are in the making...


   





  



No comments:

Post a Comment