Friday, July 20, 2012

Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken Stir Fry

Whew!  Have you ever done an ab work out for 30 minutes!  Yesterday was my first ab work out in quite awhile.  Although I'm sore, it was totally worth it.

Did you know another ingredient that benefits our tummys is coconut milk?  Coconut milk has medium chain-fatty acids (MCFA's) that is processed through the body differently than other saturated fats.  Apparently, it helps prevent weight gain for those that have lost weight and are at a set weight or those that are not overweight.


Does that mean I can get flat abs by drinking Pina Coladas 24/7?  Probably not, LOL.  However, I wish that were the case!

Here is a delicious Thai recipe I modified that has a hint of spice, but is also very rich and creamy without the calories.     

Servings:  6
Serving size- 1/2 cup of rice and a huge scoop of of chicken and vegetables
Calories:  595.5
Fat:  8.5 g 
Carbs:  106.6 g 
Fiber:  2.54 g 
Protein:  24.8 g 
Points:  16


Recipe:

2 cups of jasmine rice (uncooked)
2 cups of water
3/4 cup lite coconut milk
1 tbsp less sodium soy sauce (GF)
3 tbsps rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion (sliced)
1 tbsp ginger (powder)
3 cloves garlic (sliced)
2 lbs boneless chicken breast halves or 4 chicken breast (cut into 1/2 inch strips)
5 mushrooms (sliced to fit about a cup)
5 green onions (chopped)
1 tbps basil

1.  Put rice in rice cooker with water and cook for 15-20 minutes.
2.  In a bowl mix the coconut milk, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and pepper flakes.
3.  In a skillet or wok, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Stir in the onion, ginger, and garlic.
4. Mix in the chicken strips and cook for 3 minutes until browned. 
5.  Stir in the coconut milk sauce.
6.  Continue cooking until sauce is reduced to about 1/2 the original size.
7.  Mix in mushrooms, green onions, and basil and cook until heated through. 
8.  Serve over the cooked rice.


Although I wish coconut milk did all of the work for me, I guess I shall continue my attempts at working out.  

As LMFAO says, "I work out!!!"


 







No comments:

Post a Comment